Love Family Dental Restores Oral Function with Dentures and Partials in Astoria, NY
Whether you have lost teeth due to gum disease, tooth decay or injury, we can help you get your confidence back by reviving and brightening your smile with natural-looking dentures.
Losing teeth can produce multiple issues. By replacing your missing natural teeth with a removable dental appliance, it will help you improve chewing, digestion, speech, and it can enhance your smile and even improve it in some cases.
Types of Dentures
• Partial Dentures – When some natural teeth remain, we can create a patial denture. A partial denture is essentially a bridge that fills in teeth where missing. Partials not only help maintain oral function but they prevent the natural teeth from shifting into incorrect positions.
• Complete Dentures – When all of the natural teeth on one arch are missing, complete dentures can restore proper oral function.
The Denture Process
Acquiring dentures is a process that takes multiple visits over a time period of several weeks to ensure a comfortable fit. Impressions,measurements and pictures are taken to create a custom denture likening to your own shape, color, and fit.
There are two types of dentures:
• Conventional – Dentures are made after gum tissue has healed following the removal of all natural teeth.
• Immediate – Dentures are made in advance and placed in the mouth immediately after all natural teeth have been removed so the patient does not have to go for any period of time without teeth. However, adjustments to the dentures will be necessary once the gum tissue has healed.
Your New Teeth
After dentures have been placed, it can take up to several weeks to get used to the subtle differences between your natural teeth and your new teeth. It is normal to experience extra saliva production, a little soreness, chewing difficulties, and possibly speech issues. Your facial muscles and gum tissue will acclimate to your new teeth and all issues should cease relatively soon thereafter. It is recommended that soft and easy-to-chew foods are chosen during this time period.
Caring for Dentures
You will be given complete care instructions for your new teeth, but here are a few things to keep in mind:
• Use a soft bristle toothbrush to brush your gums, tongue, and palate prior to placing the dentures in your mouth for the day.
• Use a soft bristle toothbrush to brush the dentures everyday for food particles and plaque as this helps them to avoid staining.
• When the dentures are removed, always keep them covered in water or denture cleaning solution. Letting them completely dry out will warp the dentures and they may lose shape.
Drs Love and Love are compassionate dentists who want to find a dental solution that works for you and your lifestyle and have been doing so for over 35 years. We see patients from all over Long Island City, Queens and the surrounding Metropolitan area. Our Astoria dental office is conveniently located close to the N, Q, and R train lines. If you believe you are a candidate for a partial or full denture, please call us today.